Friday, June 16, 2023

Brown Jug Soup

This is a cheesy soup, with lots of vegetables. It is a great winter time soup You can also substitute whatever other vegetables you like ...

Brown Jug Soup Ingredients

  • 4 cubes chicken bouillon

  • 6 cups water

  • 1 cup chopped celery

  • 1 cup chopped onion

  • 3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes

  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables

  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli

  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup

  • 1 pound processed cheese, cubed

How to Make Brown Jug Soup

  1. In a large soup pot, dissolve chicken bouillon cubes in 6 cups of water.

  2. Add all the vegetables, fresh and frozen, to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.

  3. Stir in cream of chicken soup. Add cheese, and mix until melted. Serve.

Brown Jug Soup Nutritions

  • Calories: 398.8 calories

  • Carbohydrate: 33.6 g

  • Cholesterol: 59.2 mg

  • Fat: 21.8 g

  • Fiber: 4.7 g

  • Protein: 18.4 g

  • SaturatedFat: 11.2 g

  • ServingSize:

  • Sodium: 2099.2 mg

  • Sugar: 7.5 g

  • TransFat:

  • UnsaturatedFat:

Brown Jug Soup Reviews

  • I loved this soup, but my only concern was that it was very salty. I think omitting the boullion would reduce the sodium content without compromising the flavor. I also used light "Velveeta" and reduced fat cream of chicken soup to lower the fat content. Very good on a cold day

  • I made this to put into the Italian Bread Bowl recipe. This soup was really, really good. Even the super picky 8-year old wanted seconds. I did make some changes, replaced one of the chicken bouillons with a beef bouillon cube, a few dashes of mustard powder and a teaspoon of minced garlic.

  • Easy after work recipe that you can just throw together. I sometimes use just regular water in place of chicken broth and throw in cut up smoked sausage. Both the sausage and broth would make the soup too salty-especially with the Velveeta cheese.

  • I thought this was okay. Maybe a little too cheesy for my taste. Then I grabbed some leftover Christmas turkey and threw that in...it made a world of difference So much better

  • Delicious soup. Very easy to make. I have never been very good at making soups or gravies. I looked it over, had all of the ingredients and decided to give it a go. Since my wife loves soup, even if it wasnt all that good it would still get eaten. Everybody loved it This one will go in the comfort food file and be cooked often. Thank you Jackie for such a great recipe.I made this soup again (a week later). Today I did everything as per the directions except I used a head of fresh cauliflower from the farmers vegetable stand. Once again, "souperb". Did not have to add any seasonings or even salt. Thank you Jackie for a perfect creamy cheese based soup that I can do just about anything to without worry of ruining it.

  • I thought this was very good. I agree it was slightly salty, but I definetly would make it again.

  • What a wonderful, delicious and easy to make soup. I just threw in what vegetable I had (even the already seasoned ones in the freezer). It was even better the second day. This is one Ill make again and again.

  • Hubby and I really liked this. My kids, not so much, thus the reason for the 4 stars. Was super easy though. Wish my kids would have liked it as I usually have all the ingredients on hand. Will make again, but scaled down a bit for me and hubby.

  • Very good, I took the advice about the smoked sausage and added it in. Very easy to make and as I already said, very good. Will make again and again.

  • I make a soup that tastes very similar to this but my dh always complains its too thin--he likes a very thick soup. This was Perfect. Both of us liked it so much better than the recipe I have. Its thick, creamy, chunky.....YUM. I didnt have any mixed veggies so I just added whatever leftovers I had in the fridge (some corn and carrots) along with the broccoli. I cant express how yummy this was. My two little ones loved it. My youngest kept stealing spoonsful while the cheese was still melting. Great Recipe.

  • Yum - think cheesy vegetable soup. Very good and very easy. I used a low sodium chicken broth instead of boullion and it wasnt too salty at all. I might add just 1/2 the celery next time. This was really, really tasty though

  • We really enjoyed this soup. I agree it needed meat. I did the smoked sausage per other reviewers. I also sauteed the onions in a bit of butter, then added garlic before the rest of the ingredients. Yummy and comforting.

  • Very, very good. I did omit the celery and broccoli. On one occasion, I added a little smoked cheddar that I had on hand, and it gave it a very good smokey flavor. This is now a cold weather soup made often in my house.

  • I really did like the base of this soup. I actually mixed the ingredients together and put it in my crockpot on low and let it simmer all day. The only thing I did not like is the abundance of veggies. I think next time I would add brocolli, potatoes and a few other fresh veggins. The mixed vegtables were a bit too much for my desire.

  • My kiddos (5, 3 and 2) love this soup and so does hubby. I did sautee my onions and celery with one clove of garlic before adding it to the soup. I also added a bay leaf while it simmered. I did not use the broccoli instead I used two 12oz bags of mixed veggies. I would have given it 5 without these changes but for personal preference will do it the same next time as well.

  • This was a really easy soup to make and went over well with my husband. I did make a few small changes, threw in some left-over mashed potatoes from last nights dinner, added a smoked ham hock and more fresh vegies...such as squash, oh and used a mix of chicken broth and beef broth from the can instead of cubes. Very tasty and would feed a lot of people.

  • I could have sworn that I had 2 cans of cream of chicken soup in the cupboard, but one of them turned out to be cream of onion. I used it anyway and it didnt seem to hurt. I didnt like the idea of throwing the raw vegetables in the broth, so I sweated the onions and celery with some garlic and chopped carrot for 15 minutes before adding the broth. I only had a 16oz package of broccoli cuts, so I used that and did not add frozen mixed vegetables. I also threw in a bay leaf and some chopped ham. This soup came out very good and we all enjoyed it. Thanks

  • This was really good, cheesy and healthy. I used red onion, which we like. My picky son even liked it. I might try adding a little ground beef next time. Definitely a keeper. Thanks

  • Flavor was good but it was still a little thin for my taste. Ill reduce the liquid in the beginning and add to it if needed in the future.

  • I too used one beef bouillon cube in place of one of the chickens and added one zucchini chopped. Very hearty soup for a cold night. Tasted good, not super in my opinion and thought it looked not so appetizing. I think that was from the cream of chicken. Very easy to make and worth a try for sure though.

  • Wow I made this soup for myself because my husband and kids do not typically like soup, and they ended up eating more than me. This is the best soup I have ever made. I cut the amount of water by 1/2 a cup, but kept everything else the same. We are particular about veggies, so i used 3 c cubed potatoes, 1/2 onion (maybe more) and 10oz brocolli. After adding the cheese, I added 1 1/2 lbs cooked shredded chicken. Served up in bread bowls, this is sooooo good.

  • This soup was excellent After reading the reviews, I was afraid it would be too salty, but didnt have any problems with it. I added a can of chicken with the soup thinking it would make it a little more hearty, but it didnt need it and will skip that next time. I did use the 4 cubes of bullion, but also used a tub of concentrated chicken broth. That may have helped with the flavor. Overall it was excellent, and my entire family loved it. Definitely a "do again"

  • I tried this recipe almost two years ago and my family loved it. This Thanksgiving, Imade it, as the weather had cooled. Everyone loved it Everyone asked for the recipe.This is sooooo good, hot, hearty and cheesey. Hats off to this recipe donator.

  • Wonderful, cheesy, vegetably, when I really needed it Added a sprinkle of red pepper, and used all the old icky veggies in the fridge. Great recipe Will make again (and probably again.) Thank you for this recipe.

  • OMG So good I shared this recipe with everyone I know Came out SOOOOOOOOOO good Perfect for a cold day

  • This soup is my kids favorite. Ive made it lots of times and never the same way twice. I sprinkle the top with shredded cheddar cheese YUMMY

  • Delicious soup, thanks for posting The only change I made was cutting back on the Velveeta and subbing in some Philadelphia cream cheese. Was awesome...will make often with great suggestions from other reviews. Thanks again

  • I made this for a soup potluck and mine was the only one scraped clean I like larger potato chunks, so I had to cook it for almost an hour. So give yourself enough time, but this is a VERY yummy, easy-to-make soup.

  • I made this for myself thinking no one would like it, and there wasnt a drop left Cute name, but even better soup.

  • Good, easy.

  • Very, very good soup Great for winter. Have made this soup several times according to recipe and turns out great each time. Although, I would advise against trying this in a crock pot. I tried that for a pot luck today at work and just dumped all of the ingredients into the crock pot and cooked on high for 4 hours. It was really runny and the veggies didnt cook through. It was really disappointing so I will go back to making it on the stove as the recipe suggests.

  • This soup is Awesome. My family just loves it. My Grandmother made a similar soup that is our families favorite.

  • Will definitely make again. i love soups and ate this all week for lunch. i love that you can adjust it to suit your tastes.

  • This is a good recipe. I followed it exactly except added chicken. After we ate it for soup I used it in a breakfast casserole and also a chicken lasagna. Its a great base for a lot of things.

  • Loved it I left out the onion, but did everything else according to the directions, and it turned out wonderfully. Ill definitely make this again My husband doesnt like Velveta, but loved this soup anyway. Also, several reviewers thought this was too salty, but I thought it was fine. I may have used reduced sodium cream of chicken soup, so maybe that helped.

  • This was the best soup Ive ever made, my husband said this is the soup hes been looking for I used gumbo vegetables, and next time Ill leave out the potatoes. Just personal preference, but the flavor is perfect This is the soup to make for friends who are sick Thanks :)

  • This soup is very good. I wouldnt change a thing about it. I served it with garlic breadsticks and my hubby loved it.

  • Good but I think it needed half the cheese...way too much cheese in my mind

  • Great. I agree, love recipes that are versitile

  • I made this the day after Thanksgiving and I was wonderfully surpised at how good it is

  • Excellent soupI used frozen broccoli,frozen bag of veggies 2 potatoes cubed, onion and a little minced garlic.Also I used canned chicken broth,fat free cream of chicken soup and low fat Velveeta to make it a little healthier. I think next time I will add some rotisserie chicken for something a little different but was great as is.

  • Good soup for a winter evening. Initially it looks as if there is not enough liquid, but when you add the soup and cheese its fine. Easy to make, and can be varied in a number of ways.

  • My family loves this soup. Even my "I hate soup" hubby. I make it all the time, and living in southern Alabama I can always make it on the one cold day. Thanks for the recipe, I added it to my familys favorite list.

  • I made this soup last night...my family LOVED it Our picky sons had 2 bowls each I will make this again for sure I made a few changes though, I didnt have any broccli or mixed vegetables so, I used about a cup of the fallowing; frozen peas, frozen corn, a can of green beans, a fresh sliced carrots. I also took others advice and added garlic and left out the bouillion. I also only used 3/4 of the cheese and added smoked sausage. This soup was so awesome Thanks so much

  • Very easy and fills you up :) Ive made this a few times and get rave reviews. Yum

  • I LOVE this soup I have been making it for years now and it never fails. So yummy the kids even eat it. Recipe is great the way it is, never change a thing. Thank you

  • This was really good. Its like getting broccoli cheese soup at a dinner. My little 2 year old liked it and my husband really liked it too. A lot of the reviews said it was a bit too salty for them. If your worried about it being too salty, just put the bouillon in last and add too taste. If you use powder bouillon its easier to add what you want.

  • I thought this was a fabulous soup. I made it pretty much as written, except that for the bouillon cubes I used 4T of bouillon granules, since its package said "1T. = 1 cube". For the frozen veggies, I just weighed out 10 ounces of each from 1-lb. packages. I enjoyed this from start to finish, and was pleased to find that it kept its consistency, albeit a bit thicker, towards the end. I highly recommend this recipe

  • Kinda on the salty side (next time I will use less bullion) but fabulous anyway Great for fall/winter evenings and easy to put together Thanks

  • My family really likes this soup I changed it though. The cream of chicken and velveeta are too much as listed, so I actually add a bouillon cube, and little more water and use just one can of soup and cheese "to taste" so that its rich but not so thick. I made it the first time with broccoli and no frozen stuff because my fam doesnt like, and with corn the second time. I also added minced garlic. It was awesome.

  • My family loved this soup I used frozen spinach and corn, along with canned carrots and green beans, and fresh cut potatoes, celery, and garlic. I also added sliced avacado when I served it. I was delicious My four kids gobbled it up, even the one who "hates cheese". This recipe is a keeper

  • Wonderfully easy and the husband loved it

  • This was very good - great flavor and loved adding all of the vegetables. It wasnt as thick as I hoped/expected, but the flavor was fantastic. May play with proportions next time for a thicker consistency.

Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: