Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Cucumber Salad I

No oil is used in this cool and refreshing summer salad made with cucumbers, red onion, and rice wine vinegar.

Cucumber Salad I Ingredients

  • 2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced

  • red onion, thinly sliced

  • 1? cups water

  • cup rice wine vinegar

  • 1 teaspoon white sugar

  • teaspoon seasoning salt

How to Make Cucumber Salad I

  1. Combine cucumbers and red onion in a salad bowl.

  2. In a small bowl, stir together water, rice wine vinegar, sugar, and seasoned salt. Pour over vegetables. Chill for 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Cucumber Salad I Nutritions

  • Calories: 47.4 calories

  • Carbohydrate: 11.3 g

  • Cholesterol:

  • Fat: 0.2 g

  • Fiber: 0.9 g

  • Protein: 0.7 g

  • SaturatedFat:

  • ServingSize:

  • Sodium: 691 mg

  • Sugar: 8 g

  • TransFat:

  • UnsaturatedFat:

Cucumber Salad I Reviews

  • I love cucumber and red onion together. I used more sugar and regular vinegar instead of the rice wine. I also threw in some dill for added flavor and they were delicious. Thanks Ann

  • I used white onion (I did not have a red onion) and doubled the sugar. After marinating for several hours, the onion flavor was overpowering so I drained the liquid and added 2 more teaspoons of sugar to sweeten it up. I am going to put it on a sandwich with cream cheese, tomatoes and avocado.

  • I have tried many Cucumber Salad recepies but this is the best. Sometimes I add a little fresh dill or fresh parsly

  • This was a nice refreshing way to serve cucumbers. I only gave it a 4 because it is not a SUPER recipe. It is simple and good, but nothing that makes it "extra". This is the way southerners make cucumber salad alot. I used white vinegar because that is what I had on hand and I also added some fresh chopped dill. This is a good recipe and it always goes over well with any meal during the hot, summer months. Use onion as little or as much as you like, red onions can be strong, so you have to adjust to your personal taste. This is a good, simple recipe that anyone can make.

  • Great refreshing taste. I increased the sugar slightly and used sea salt instead of seasoned salt. Will definately make again.

  • Just what I was looking for. The salad was not too vinegary. I also added diced yellow pepper and halved cherry tomatoes and it came out delish I will be making this again.

  • I added 1/4tsp cilantro and 1/4tsp mint to add some extra flavor Great served over couscous

  • I love this salad Instead of sour cream and milk I used a cup of fat free honey dijon salad dressing for extra flavor. I will make it again for sure.

  • Delicious. I used the Rice Vinegar and 2 tsp. sugar. I also used white onion instead of red. Perfecto

  • Super easy but a little too bitter for my tastes with the vinegar but my wife loved it. Varying the ratio of vinegar to sugar helps make this a sour or sweet salad depending on your tastes.

  • I also added yellow pepper for a nice change. I didnt have any rice wine vinegar so I subsitutued apple vinegar instead...maybe that explains the "3" rating.

  • I agree with Dee, this is the way Southerners make cucumber salad, been doing this for many years. It is a good recipe, but isnt a new one. I was looking for a new way to use fresh cucumbers. This is good, but been using this for many years

  • Light and refreshing. I loved the subtle, not to vinegary taste. I served this with Yakitori (also found on allrecipes.com) and rice tonight. The longer it sits, the more "pickled" it gets.

  • Quick, easy and delicious. The rice wine vinegar gives it a great flavor.

  • This recipe was okay, no one else at the table ate any at all besides me, I thought it to be to bland for my taste, it wasnt a total disaster, but I wouldnt waste my time making it again.

  • I dont know how to rate this recipe, send I ended up not following it, really. I was looking for a Thai-style cucumber salad. This recipe looked kind of like it on paper. However,I quickly realized it wasnt quite right. I eliminated the water entirely, added a lot more sugar and some more salt (tasting along the way). Its still missing something, but the recipe became very close to what I was looking for, so I really appreciate this recipe

  • Quick and easy and best of all--lowfat Tastes great

  • Very light and refreshing salad. I will make again for sure.

  • This was pretty good. I made a few alterations by adding halved cherry tomatoes and freshly chopped mint. I also used red wine vinegar because thats what I had on hand. It was delicious and very refreshing.....will be making this again.

  • Great, refreshing recipe for a summer night. I added julianned carrots. Awesome.

  • This is just what I was looking for I used white wine vinegar and doubled the sugar. I will make this over and over again.

  • I think the rice wine vinegar may have been too mild and will try white next time. Something just didnt seem right. I added dill weed also and it still just wasnt what I expected.

  • This simple light salad was good. It made 4 generous servings - any leftovers didnt last long.

  • Ive been making cucumber salads for years, and have made many different versions. This one is not to my taste due to the overwhelming amount of water, the use of only one type of vinegar, and the lack of pepper. I thought I would enjoy the lightness of this salad without oil, but it was pretty flavorless, and it felt weird in my mouth. Wont be making this one again, sorry.

  • The only reason I didnt give this 5 starts is because I made a few changes that I feel made it better, but it a GREAT springing point I used regular white vinegar because its what I had (like other people on here). I also used white onions. I used 1 1/2 tsp sugar instead of just 1, the same amount of vinegar, and only 3/4 cup water instead of 1 1/2. I added probably what amounted to a tablespoon of olive oil to make it more like salad dressing (in place of the missing water). I also put in two tomatoes, largely cubed. It was sensational

  • I have been making this since my grandmother gave me the recipe 40 years ago. I like the addition of the tomatoes. The trick with this recipe is to add 1/2 water and 1/2 ice cubes. When the ice cubes are melted, the salad is ready. Draining or not however you choose.I like to keep the dressing on it and maybe add to another salad I may serve. It needs to be eaten by 2 days or the cucumbers get soft and that is not good.

  • I LIKED THIS BUT I USED BALSAMIC VINEGAR INSTEAD OF RICE WINE VINEGAR AND I WAS OUT OF WHITE SUGAR SO I USED BROWN SUGAR AND IT TURNED OUT OKAY.

  • As written, pretty bland. Had to add more salt and sugar. Probably will not make again.

  • I used two tablespoons of white cooking onion, Montreal Steak Spice, and some Italian seasonings. This recipe is yummy and versitle

  • I love this. Its also very good with poached salmon either hot, cold or at room temperature.

  • The perfect blend for a simple summer salad. Make sure to let it sit for a day or so for all the flavors to blend. Delicious

  • This recipe is adaptable to what you have ripe in your garden. In addition to the cucumber and onion I threw in a sliced bell pepper, some cherry tomatos and snap beans because they were just coming ripe in my garden. Used Red Wine Vinegar instead of rice wine because that is what I had. Delicious and refreshing.

  • Great salad I didnt bother with the water and used regular salt vs. seaoned. I served this right away

  • Had cucumbers in Denmark and these taste a lot like them. They were excellent only thye didnt add any onions

  • Easy and refreshing. I used sweet onion and doubled the sugar. I also used regular kosher salt rather than the seasoning salt.

  • A hit with my family this summer.

  • I used white onion instead of regular and used the one cucumber I had on hand. I used agave nectar instead of sugar and I increased it as I like my salad a little sweeter. Added black pepper as well. Even the kids ate it up Used garlic infused rice vinegar (what I had) YUM

  • Used this as a marinade for cucumbers and red onions needed in a Greek salad. I ate 2 servings in one sitting and I dont even like cucumbers I am unsure what to do if I serve this on its own: am I supposed to serve the liquid with the cucumbers?

  • Quick, easy, good. I cut the water down to 1 cup and used kosher salt instead of seasoning salt. But, it was wonderful. Will make it again.

  • Way too much of a vinagar taste. I even went and bought the wine vinagar this recipe called for. I had to add two additional tablespoons of sugar to make it edible. I wont be making this again.

  • Made the salad as is.....Excellent

  • This is a great and fast side dish. I added thinly sliced yellow squash as well. Fantastic and great tasting

  • Used cucumber, red onion, splenda and rice wine vinegar. omitted water and salt. all the water does is dilute the flavor. as made very low calorie.

  • Based on others suggestions I didnt use the full water that was suggested and I feel it ended up too vinegar-ie. Regardless, I think this needed a little more sugar or something else to cut down on the acidity and something else to add more flavor.

  • This was a fine recipe but nothing amazing. Typically I just estimate the amount of vinegar/sugar/salt and it turns out just as good.

  • Too watery, very bland, was easy to fix though, poured out some of the water, added more rice vinegar and sugar.

  • This was a family favorite when I was a little girl a long time ago and still is. If red onions are not available plain old yellow will work also.

  • I used a mandolin slicer for both the onion and cucumbers, which I feel improved the recipe. Also, used Stevia instead of the sugar and regular cider vinegar. Super oil and sugar free recipe, zero points for anyone on WW.

  • I dont ordinarily like cucumbers, but I love this salad I decreased the water to 1 cup to make it a little more tart. I used rather large cucumbers, so I doubled the liquid and that worked out great. I also used flavored rice vinegar, which made a BIG difference in the taste. I plan to serve this year round. Its my new favorite I discovered you can re-use the liquid once. If you do that, add 1/3 cup more vinegar and a sprinkle of seasoned salt. Oh, and if you use SEASONED rice vinegar its better than wonderful

  • I followed the quantity as the directions stated and used white onion instead of red. I thought it came out great.

  • I make this without the sugar and use white wine vinegar....with sea salt not that many onions but great and healthy.

  • The onion taste was too strong in this recipe, but otherwise it would have been good. Next time Ill leave the onion out all together.

  • Ive made this salad before after a trip to the farmers market and used Vidalia onion and sliced tomatoes. I used white wine vinegar and doubled the sugar. This time I used the red onion and a garden fresh cucumber someone gave me today and added some dill. Both variations worked great, my favorite summer treat

  • Heres the "dill-io" with this recipe. Ive been making this for years with the cucumber harvest from the garden when your tastebuds are over refrigerator pickles. I just whipped up a batch for July 4th backyard grillin & chillin. Bar none, great and refreshing side on a hot summer day with a burger and a beer . Here are a few tweaks to the recipe that are sure to get fist bumps from your family. Ill share the tweak and Ill take a virtual fist bump later.1) Use seasoned rice wine vinegar. The ration of water to vinegar is about right. 2) Add dried dill or chopped fresh dill if you have it on hand. 3) Skip the seasoned salt and stick with kosher salt to taste.4) You have to double or triple down on the sugar to balance out the slightly acidic bite of the rice wine vinegar. Skip white vinegar and apple cider vinegar. 5) Add a tsp of red pepper flakes. 6) Make sure to whisk up your ingredients and let the salad marinade for a half day or so. 7) White onions folks; no red. Get a fat and happy vidalia sweet. Half it & slice it thin.Thats it. Pretty darn sure youll be havin seconds or catcalls for the modified recipe. Enjoy

  • I really liked this, easy and simple. I would say to add a little more sugar. Used white vinegar instead. Not one of my favorites but will make again on a lazy day

  • This is a very good basic cucumber salad. I followed the recipe exactly and my family enjoyed it. This is a classic recipe, nothing fancy, but quick and delicious none the less.

Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: