
This delicious pasta salad is always a big hit at parties and its so easy to make. Everyone is always asking me for the recipe. Try it for yourself with the pasta of your choice.
Kathy's Delicious Italian Pasta Salad Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package dry penne pasta
12 ounces roasted red peppers
7 ounces black olives, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
16 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
5 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
pound Genoa salami, cut into strips
cup olive oil
cup balsamic vinegar
ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Kathy's Delicious Italian Pasta Salad
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold running water until cool.
Mix together: red peppers, olives, onion, garlic, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and salami.
Combine in large bowl, pasta and vegetable mixture. Pour in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and black pepper. Mix well together.
Kathy's Delicious Italian Pasta Salad Nutritions
Calories: 846.9 calories
Carbohydrate: 67.9 g
Cholesterol: 67.3 mg
Fat: 50.3 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 34.1 g
SaturatedFat: 14.3 g
ServingSize:
Sodium: 1912.2 mg
Sugar: 8.2 g
TransFat:
UnsaturatedFat:
Kathy's Delicious Italian Pasta Salad Reviews
This is very good. The only thing that prevented me from giving it 5 stars was that I added to the basic recipe. My suggestions: add something green to the mix, I added broccoli flowerets, I also found the dressing a bit plain, so I added more garlic, a few dashes of Tabasco sauce, basil and pepper. Last note, this makes way more than 6 servings.
This is one of the best pasta salads I have ever had. I use turkey pepperoni instead of the salami to cut back on a few calories. I use an Italian seasoning packet mixed with olive oil for more flavor. I also use fresh basil. Terrific recipe.
This is a great recipe I made a few changes by adding a can of quartered artichoke hearts, some steamed broccoli using pepperoni instead of the salami, a bottled vingarette because Im lazy, and a generous sprinkling of Italian seasoning. It was a big hit at my family barbeque this weekend.
This is a great basic recipe - you can really make some creative modifications and it will still taste great - much better than using bottled dressing in my opinion. I left out the onion and red peppers, and added some fresh basil, oregano & parsley along with some brocoli florets - and it was great. I did decrease the olive oil by nearly 1/4 cup on the advice of others and Im glad I did. Also, I would wait to put the cheese in until an hour or so before serving so it doesnt get slimy. Very easy to make and definitely will make again.
This was really delicious and a big hit at my party. However, next time I would try a little less olive oil. Even though it said 6 servings, it seemed to make way more than that and would easily accommodate a party of 10-12 at least. I will definately make this again
I liked this alot. I made it just like the recipe calls for. I cant stand on here when people change the ingredients and then give it a lower rating. I will make this again and again. Thanks Kathy
I made this for my sisters baby shower and it was a big hit. Many people asked me for the recipe. We made it all the night before, except added the cheese chunks in the morning so they wouldnt get slimy. It was a winner
Very good. Just a couple notes: 1. this makes a TON of salad. So consider yourself warned 2. Its a very heavy salad, so I freshened it up with lots of (nearly) raw broccoli. It made it for me.
A great recipe for vinegar lovers I added some basil at the end - thought it needed just a little something more. Im keeping this on hand and definitely making it again. Thanks Kathy
I made this dish for a work function and everyone loved it, including me I liked how it uses the balsamic and oil instead of italian dressing. I had to print the recipe out for more than one person. Thanks
Kathys pasta salad is definately delicious. I will use this recipe over and over again. THANKS KATHYLisa :)
Very Good I have made this with several variations of the main ingredients. I have used different kinds of genoa salami ,ham ,pepperoni ,different kinds of cheese ,munster ,mozzerella ,cheddar , pepperjack. It always turns out excellent...thanks much for this. Oh, and use white basalmic vinegar
I cant decide on 3 or 4 stars. I made the recipe as stated the first time and it was just ok. I did not like the raw garlic, it was very strong. So the second time I added pepperoni, a can of artichokes, red wine vinegar, chopped sun dried tomatoes, subbed fresh garlic for garlic powder and cayenne pepper. After sitting in the fridge for several hours the pasta salad was perfect I would say 3 stars as written, I just found that "omph" lacking.
Very good I used tri colored rotini, 18 oz. I followed another persons suggestion and added a whole jar of marinated artichoke hearts..good tip. I chopped them and used the marinade with 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup light tasting olive oil as suggested. I used 2 cloves of garlic and abt 3 tbls chopped onions. I omitted black olives and roasted peppers. I used 1/2 chopped gr. pepper and 1/2 chop. orange pepper, with 1/2 cup chop. banana pepper. Nice coloring for summer. Instead of all mozzarella, I used half provolone, half mozzarella. In addition to the salami, I added 1/4 cup finely chopped pepperoni. My husband gobbled this up and wanted more right away The flavors were excellent. Again, I amended to our taste and am so glad for the artichoke and dressing tip.
Yum We really enjoyed this. Only change I made was to use garlic powder in place of the minced just because I dont like raw garlic and also used shredded mozzarella since I had some that needed to be used up. Thanks
This truly is a delicious pasta salad I took out 1/4 cup of olive oil as other posters had recommended. I also added green olives, and used Strawberry Basil Balsalmic Vinegar. The strawberry flavor nicely complements the italian flavors. I added italian seasonings as well. I noticed alot of people not liking the brown color that the pasta turns after adding the balsalmic vinegar. I used whole wheat pasta which is already brown. Delicious recipe
Makes a large portion at 6 servings. Took it to a Wine Club tasting and had many requests for the recipe. I just referred them to allrecipes.com. This recipe is a keeper.
Make it a 5-star with the following alterations:Add marinated artichoke hearts, reserving 1/2 c. marinade for dressing. Dressing: add 1/2 c. reserved artichoke marinade, 1/4 c. vinegar, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, juice from 1/2 a lemon, fresh herbs (mint, basil, parsley - whatever you have on hand), some red chili sauce, salt and pepper to taste.I used a smoked swiss/mozz mix for the cheese, added tomatoes, banana peppers and green pepper. Very pretty salad and a definite crowd-pleaser. WARNING: this makes WAY more than 6 servings. We had a party of 15-20 and had plenty
No one in my family cared for this. It made a lot. Besides the taste, it had an unappetizing brownish color due to the balsamic vinegar.
I added and changed this recipe with artichokes and baby corn. Great recipes. Makes enough for 10 to 12 people
This salad was very good, it was a nice change from our usual pasta salad. I did omit the black olives, only because I didnt have a can and used provalone cheese instead of mozzarella.
Like most cooks, I subbed in this recipe with what I had on had, i.e., ham cubes, sun-dried tomatoes pscked in oil and shredded Italian-style cheese. I added Italian seasoning and found that I needed a small amount of salt. Next time I will try red wine vinegar and add marinated artichokes or garbanzo beans if I have them. For me, the best flavor in the salad came from the sun-dried tomatoes. This is definitely an entree salad. All in all a great salad
I added marinated artichoke hearts and used bow-tie pasta. Also used a packet of "Good Seasons MILD Italian" and used red wine vinegar in the Good Seasons. I found smoked mozzarella and used it - this is a great recipe that you can add other ingredients to. Will make it again
Took this to a Halloween party, everyone loved itTo make things eaiser, I used "Bernsteins Balsamic Italian" dressing instead of mixing my own.Yummy
I enjoyed it..it was very tasty..My son wasnt too crazy about the olive oil. Next time I will try it with italian salad dressing
This is yummy I did change a few things just to accomadate what I had on hand. Used tri0color rotini, red onion, shredded mozzrella cheese and pepperoni in place of the salami. Will make this again And I had fire roasted tomatoes, could have sworn they were roasted red peppers when I bought them
I had many compliments on this dish. Instead of salami I used dried Italian sausage (homemade even). I also used cherry tomatoes halved and marinated fresh mozzarella.
I doubled the recipe for a party, but kept the olive oil and balsamic vinegar amounts the same. I found the balsamic vinegar to be too strong for my taste hence the reason I kept it at a 1/2 cup. I added italian dressing and pepper jack cheese, too.
I LOVE THIS PASTA SALAD The only difference I made was to use a lot of salami, about 1 lb because I LOVE genoa salami. Also, I decreased the olive oil and balsamic vinegar by half.
This recipe was delicious. It served a crowd as a side dish at a picnic. I used less oil as someone else had suggested. I think it could use a little more "zip". More pepper next time. A keeper.
Just okay - didnt care for the brown color the basalmic vinegar turned the pasta
This recipe made me very popular at a summertime party. I still have people asking for the recipe many months later. I put some diced chicken breast on top of the leftover salad and served it as an entree.
Excellent recipe, my whole family loves it. I roast my own peppers, I use three-four depending on size.
I made this for lunch for friends and they all wanted the recipe. Its REALLY YUMMY
This was good with some alterations. I added more salami and fresh basil from the garden. I think the basil gives it flavor and freshness that the salad otherwise lacks. You have to love balsamic to really enjoy this recipe.
We did not care for this. It was good the first day, but we found the balsamic to be a bit heavy. It was just OK.
Really tasty perfect combo of ingredients.
It was just ok to me, I didnt like the dark color of the pasta, it had an ok flavor, but it reminded me of an item you pick on a buffet in Vegas and wish you didnt. Sorry I feel bad about that but just didnt care for it.
This was yummy And its nice that you dont have to let it sit for hours to let the flavors blend before eating. I shredded a carrot, added artichokes and used berensteins balsamic dressing. A sprinkle of pepper flakes added a nice kick.
Yummy Will make again for sure
I just made this using red onion instead of yellow, and turkey pepperoni instead of salami. They didnt have the brand of salami I like at the store, so I went for pepperoni. It tastes great. Itll be perfect after it sits in the fridge for a while. Great recipe. I recommend it.
LOVED THIS RECIPE Added a little parsley for color--yummy
This was wonderful, a bit like an antipasto in salad form, but healthier. I added some fresh basil and peas from the garden, but it would have tasted great without it. Much fresher tasting than the bottled dressing kind of salad. Note that the balsamic vinegar turns the salad a little dark, which we didnt mind but you can use white balsamic if concerned.
I tried this for a party that I had and it came out wonderful This is very easy to adjust to larger servings and still have it taste good.
Just wasnt what I was looking for. Too bland and not enough flavor.
This is a really nice alternative to the usual mayo dressing-based pasta salads. Apart from using diced red onion, I made it as written, and thought it was pretty good. There is, however, definitely room for some tweaking as noted in previous reviews - pepperoni, sliced mushrooms, a combination of cheeses etc etc, and I agree that some fresh basil would also be a nice addition. Ill be experimenting with this one for sure. Thanks
Made this today....awesome. The roasted red peppers really make the salad I made one tiny change- did half mozzarella cubes and half sharp provolone. Amazing.
I gave 4 stars only becuase I made so many changes to the original recipie. Heres what I did that turned out awesome. subbed fresh red bell pepper, sliced cherry tomatos, red onion, bowtie pasta,and Subbed italian dressing. Added canned sliced Artichoke hearts. ( I did one can, next time Ill add two.) Yummy
I just tried this recipe for the first time- it was great- I also added a green pepper and a packet of good seasons
I made this today for a party along with some other salads (including my own Italian pasta salad). This was just a bit bland tasting for me. I think it needed some flavor. I will try adding some a mix of spices to the dressing next time.I also think fresh basil is a must next time around (I had none at home).Anyhow I added a few pieces of broccoli for color and red onion instead of yellow.Thank you for sharing.
I made this for a party (55 adults and 30 kids). I doubled it and only 1/2 was eaten. (We also served sloppy joes, hot dogs, a bean salad, fruit, veggies and 2 dips.) The salad was really good. I changed a few things as suggested in other reviews: I used Rotini pasta, pepperoni instead of salami, white balsamic vinegar and I added fresh basil. It could have used a little more flavor maybe but it was still really tasty. I think next time I will put in a little less cheese and make it the day before the party because it tasted even better the second day.
I made this salad exactly as stated and it was delicious Served at a cookout and it disappeared in a hurry along with the recipe Thanks for sharing
I love this recipe- it is so easy to add whatever I have on hand, and tastes so good I have been omitting the onion and tomatoes lately and adding green peppers, and using feta cheese instead of mozzarella. It gets rave reviews at parties, and people dont realize how easy it is to make
This was so good and quick I made it last minute for a side dish. Next time I will use less onion.
Sorry but we didnt like this.
Well, Kathy, this IS delicious I tried it with cheats the first time - pepperoni instead of salami and shredded cheese instead of cubed - just to see if I liked it. I am totally bringing this to my next party - will chop up salami and cheese as written for better presentation. Also, the balsamic vinegar only slightly discolored the pasta. I wouldnt even have noticed if I hadnt read the other reviews. Definitely a keeper
I followed this recipe exactly except I didnt measure any of the ingredients but the olive oil and vinegar. I used balsamic and I thought the salad was delicious. It would be good with some of the other reviewers additions, but I thought it was great just as it is.
Great pasta salad- keeper
This is a good starting point...i always throw whatever i have in the fridge/pantry into pasta salads. this recipe has some great ingredients that i never think of though thanks for sharing
I made this with a veggie rotini, celery, R &G peppers, onion, ham and gouda and garden cherry tomatoes. (the check out gal dumped my deli salami on the scanner and I was too tired to go back) I didnt use the packaged Italian dressing mix, instead I added garlic powder and lots of fresh herbs, parsley, basil, Mexican oregano, and celery leaves, as I wanted it be fresh and I had them to use. The dressing is wonderful. I made it the night before and put it on the morning of the party. I would use this dressing for a lot of fresh veggie salads. Thanks
Made according to recipe. Needs a bit of spices to enhance. Next time I would cut back on the balsamic vinegar a bit, add a bit of spice or try with a spicy salami.
Ive made this for many family events now, and Ive gotten requests from my hubby and my brother to make it
Awesome Everyone loved it
I followed this recipe exactly and it was a huge hit. Instead of just red roasted peppers I found a jar of red and yellow roasted peppers and they were sweet and added wonderful flavor. I think having a great balsamic vinegar is key. I cut the salami into thin strips as directed. All the men at the gathering raved about this salad - Ill be making it again
LOVE this pasta salad It makes a ton though...best for large get togethers.
Great flavors I dont care for raw onion in salad, so I left that out. I had half a jar of marinated artichokes in the fridge so I chopped them up and added them. Otherwise I followed the recipe as submitted. I will definitely make this again.
Easy to make and went over very well with the whole family including my picky kids.
Like many, I used this as the bones of my version, using what I had to take it from side dish to complete meal. I scaled back the pasta, and added more vegetables. Artichoke hearts, capers and more tomatoes in the form of marinated salad tomatoes. Fresh parsley and basil, roasted garlic paste, and olive tapenade rounded out the herbal seasoning. Finally, some Italian chicken sausage in place of the salami. Fresh mozzarella pearls in place of the cubes. It turned out glorious, and all I needed to buy was the GF pasta. Meal prep accomplished
Yes I would make it again I am making this fornmy sons rehearsal dinner
Really good, and a nice change from mayo-based pasta salads. Like others, I changed a few things such as adding 2 small chopped cucumbers for more crunch and veggies. For the vinegar I combined balsamic with champagne vinegar to make the required amount - makes it more mellow. It does make a large quantity, but I wanted that b/c I wanted a big container full to use for work lunches for 3-4 days.

0 comments: